The 2020 Minnesota Hockey Scholarship selectees have been announced. For a list click here. The details for 2021 scholarships will be released in December 2020.
Each year Minnesota Hockey offers scholarship awards to hockey players in Minnesota who will be graduating high school. These scholarships can be used at any post high school institution and will be a one-time award that will not need to be repaid. In 2020, Minnesota Hockey will offer scholarships for registered members, high school hockey participants and a scholarship for disabled hockey participants.
To be eligible for a Minnesota Hockey scholarship, the applicant must be a resident of Minnesota, a senior student-athlete and be properly registered with an affiliate association of Minnesota Hockey.
To be eligible for one of the high school scholarships, a player must be participating on an active Minnesota State High School League roster. There will be one boys scholarship and one girls scholarship awarded for high school players.
To be eligible for the Wes Barrette Scholarship, a player must be participating on an active Junior Gold roster.
Application forms are available below. Please complete and send to Executive Director, Minnesota Hockey Scholarship Committee, 317 Washington Street, St. Paul, MN 55102. Or call 651-602-5727 for more information.
Along with the completed application you must submit the following information (incomplete applications will not be considered):
1. Completed application form;
2. Application letter stating why you are applying for the scholarship, what your academic goals are and the significance of hockey in your personal development;
3. Certified high school transcript showing current grade point average and class rank, if possible. The transcript must include an SAT or ACT test score, if available; and
4. Two letters of recommendation: One from your current youth hockey coach and one from a teacher, school counselor or community leader. Recommendation letters should be sent directly to the scholarship committee at the address noted above.
Scholarship applicants must meet the following academic criteria to be considered for a scholarship award.
1. Minimum GPA of 2.0 on a 4.0 grading system;
2. Applicant must be considered a student in good standing (not on probation or suspension) at the school they attend; and
3. Scholarship awards cannot be deferred.
Method of Payment
The $1,500 scholarship award will be sent directly to the awardees post high school institution’s financial aid office. The award must be applied toward school expenses. Payment will only be made upon completion of the following:
1. Letter from the student indicating date of enrollment and request for payment;
2. A copy of the acceptance letter from the institution that the awardee has chosen to attend.
Application must be completed and returned to the scholarship committee no later than March 16, 2020. Incomplete applications will not be considered.